Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Everson Home Academy: Starting K5!!!

I always said that I was not going to homeschool...But when it came time for me to start looking for a school, and our options, homeschooling seemed to be the only choice. Now I'm not sure if it will be the only option years down the road...I'm hoping that in a few years from now, Christian school will be our choice. 

When looking for a curriculum, I knew right off the bat I needed something with more structure, less lesson planning on my part, and something that would do the teaching aspect for me. It all seems way too overwhelming to me to plan the lessons, organize the work, and all the craft stuff is just not my style. I was looking for something where I could be more of an assistant so that my son felt like he was being taught by someone else. That's what drew me in when I was looking at online video programs. 



It didn't take me too long to see that Bob Jones has an online Distance Learning program for homeschoolers. I loved the freedom it offered as teachers are teaching the lessons to the kids and I'm being a helper for my child. 

This homeschooling a child is all too new to me. (even for being homeschooled my whole school career) And that's why I couldn't get myself into a HUGE curriculum search, mix and match things, and 'do it on my own.' I guess you can say I took the easy road. But I'm growing, and we'll see how this year goes.

One other major source of helps, tips, and info has been Pinterest! As I'm sure many homeschooling moms do the same! Here's a printout I found for our weekly plan so I can write down what we've done for the day! (www.homeschoolingonadime.com) I think I get the most excitement out of the organization papers I find on Pinterest than school being done! :)


Lincoln has done six lessons so far and he seems to really like math. We save that subject for last. ;) Hopefully he'll have the same enthusiasm about math through out the year! The lessons aren't too long and it gives us time to do review, play games, and enjoy other fun stuff together. Kindergarten is still a learn while you play age, which makes it even more fun for us! 


Please share any tips or helps that you might want to offer. Anything that to get us through the year! And any suggestions on 1st grade curriculum. (?)

Thanks for stopping by! I'm linking up over at iHomeschool Network during their blog hop. Be sure to check out the other bloggers for more curriculum ideas and to see what everyone else is using this year!




1 comment:

  1. Wishing you all a great year of learning! It is fine to use a structured plan. Your choices have to be aligned with your family :) If your current plan works then you can use it next year, and add extras that your son might enjoy if you want a little diversity.

    ReplyDelete

Share this