Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's for Dinner?

I've been asking myself that question a lot this week. Money has been tight and the pantry is running dry. I've been bored with the main recipes that I use and am search for new ones. I love looking through KRAFT magazines and cook books and recipe blogs. But who better than fellow wives and mothers who know about good wholesome food that is affordable with a single based income?! So I'm asking you to help me out here. Please give me your family's favorite "cheap" meal.
Here's one that my husband and I love:
Teriyaki Chicken
Ingredients:
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
12 chicken drumsticks (I use breasts or thighs as well)

1) Combine the soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic powder in a container to marinade chicken. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.

2) Drain and discard marinade. Bake chicken uncovered, at 375* for 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear.
Serve over hot rice!

I love this recipe because I cook it different ways depending on how much time I have. Sometimes I'll combine everything in the crock pot and let it cook all day. (The smells are wonderful) Or I'll combine everything in a pot and boil the chicken for about 45 min. Or reserve some of the marinade and grill the chicken outside for an awesome bar-b-que!

Joe says that I make chicken too much. I'm sorry...It's cheap and easy. He enjoys Mexican style and I like pasta, shrimp, and chicken! :)
This summer I'm going to try to cook for my whole family in Wisconsin. I've been wanting to work at my cooking skills and can't wait to use my family as my guinea pigs!
Hope you enjoy my recipe, and I hope to use some of yours! Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share this