Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday thoughts


I'm always in search of a good christian parenting books. I'm always asking myself, "How can I be a better wife and mother?" And too many times I feel like I fall short. Motherhood in it self is not thinking of yourself. Too many times I'm concerned of what's best for me, how to get what I want out of it. So selfish.
Motherhood is thinking of others. Sacrificing your time and energy for the good of the family. It's being a servant. And what better example do I have other than Jesus Christ? He is the perfect example of a humble servant.
Just over a year ago, right when we found out I was pregnant, I was reading through Titus 2. I was going through this chapter with a study book. (Created to be his Help Meet by Debi Pearl) Here are some things that I wrote in my journal during that time. It was a great reminder of my duty as a Christian woman.

"A Titus 2 Woman first must be SOBER: To do one's duty, be moderate, self-controlled, thoughtful, and to learn to make wise decisions, and judgment. When a woman learns to be sober, she will not live for immediate gratification. She will appreciate those things that will last for eternity.
"

Immediate gratification... So many times I'm frustrated because things are not done. If I don't get my 'too do' list finished, then I'm not happy. "Choose to do those things which will give satisfaction as you view life as a whole, rather than measure satisfaction at the end of each day." (A Mother's Heart by Jean Fleming) Am I having eternity in mind here? Will having the 'too do' list checked off at the end of the day really benefit my relationship with my family? What am I doing that has lasting value?

"A Titus 2 Woman must love their husbands: Putting his needs before your own. BE READY to minister to him!"

Again, here it is. Putting others before me. I ask the Lord to help me in this area. At the end of the day, I realize times where I could have, should have ministered to my husband. I fail all too much. Please forgive me Lord. I have such a wonderful husband who deserves so much more than this foolish girl.

"A Titus 2 Woman must love their children: For a mother who loves her children, training is not a chore, it is a full-time, all-consuming passion. They are worth every minute of time and trouble to every 'dedicated' mother."

"To be Discreet: Prudent; wise in avoiding error and in selecting the best means to accomplish a purpose. Polite and honest."

"To be Chaste: Pure in though, word and act. To be modest and honorable in all things"

"To be Keepers at Home: Keeping a godly home with excellence for your husband and children is the christian woman's nonnegotiable responsibility."

"To be Good: A good woman is genuine, joyful, virtuous, valuable, kind, merciful, hard working, gracious and wise."

"To be Obedient to their own husbands: TRUST! Depend on his wisdom and guidance. Proverbs 12:4 'A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband...'"

So as I read through Titus 2 again this week, and looked back at my notes from last year, I am greatly convicted on how I've lacked in my motherhood life. I would wonder 'where am I in this ministry? How can I reach people? Send me Lord.' The home is where the Lord has sent me. My family is my ministry. This is my calling. And there's no where else I'd rather be. I pray that these things will show through in my life as I grow in my Christian walk.

3 comments:

  1. Beth,
    I love that passage from Titus 2...
    and any time that I read it - I find another area that I need to work on. We will always be growing in our walk with our Lord and in our relationships at home. You are so right - that your primary ministry is there in your home right now. And it is a HIGH calling.
    Sweet post.
    Thanks for sharing
    Blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your Titus thoughts! I always find something new that I haven't noticed before. I'm sorry that I missed you last week, but I nosed around your blog a bit and "caught up". What an adventure you are on with your family! Your baby is precious and so are you! SAfe travels to you! I will be praying and hope to stop by again to visit with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post...so filled with wisdom, encouragement, and (yes) conviction from His Word. Our role as keeper of the home is indeed a HIGH calling and a great privilege. What we can count on is that our Father will "equip us for every good work" if we seek Him. Thank you for your insights this week on Titus.

    Many Blessings...

    ReplyDelete

Share this